Friday, October 12, 2007

Discharges Before Period

New Personal Record Overclock and Power Supplies (PSU)

Overclock and Sources Power Supply (PSU)

Hi few days ago I made a guide on how to overclock, or at least how I did, my micro and my mother (E6600 and GA-P35-DS4) and post in the forums I usually attend, MaximoPC, Hard H20 and Royal Hardware.
The issue is that a user of Maximum PC (Jose_073, thanks Jose), I left a comment that got me thinking, said

"... Hi, I noticed your source of 410 watts, must be very good for banks all ... "

Well, I have a Radix Smart Power 410W Tacens , that when I went to buy 40 Euros, is a good brand, very well and is aesthetically I assumed it was powerful enough for my team:

GA-P35-DS4 (disip. pasivade copper)
C2D 6600 (120 + Tacens Thermalrigth extreme ice aura 12x12)
Gigabyte Gforce 8600GT (disip. termalright V2)
Kingston 2 x 1 Giga DDR2 800MHz (Revoltec disp. copper)
320 gigabyte Maxtor 7200rpm (without dissipating.)

Asique I went to Watts consumption calculator to verify that 410W would be enough, I entered my data ...

System Type: Dual
Processor Motherboard: High end desktop
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2400MHz
1.35 vcore CPU Utilization (TPD): 85% (recommended)
RAM: 2 sticks DDR2 SDRAM
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT
Video Type: Single Card (no SLI, no Crossfire)
Hard Drives: 1HDD Ide 7200rpm / 1HDD Sata
SSD Drives: ---
Drives: 1Drive DVD+/-RW
PCI Cards: ---
Aditional PCI-Express: ---
External Devices: 4USB / 1 Firewire
Other Devices: 1 Fan Controler / 1 Front Bay LCD
Cold Catodes: ---
Fans: 1, 80mm / 2, 120mm-led / 1, 120mm
Tec Coolers: ---
Water Cooling:
--- Power Supply Adjustments: System Load 90% (recommended)

.. and He obtains this result:

Recommended PSU Wattage: 315W
Capacitor Aging: 10% Recommended PSU Wattage: 346W

(Lo de "Capacitor Aging" is a percentage of Electrolytic capacitor envegecido wear "hard use" as overclock or have too many things connected, in my case the source is under a year and carries a 10% wear, gives a higher consumption value, thus having a wider range of consumer safety)

I was glad to see that the resulting value as normal (315W) as the most conservative value (346W) were well within the 410W that gives my source.
That is until I happened to repeat the calculation , but this time by calculating the Overclock, ie by input of new frequencies and V cores, there I change the face ... because I realized fairly common error that we often make when compared to one source: not calculated overclocking.

--------------------------------------------- -----------------------------------------
+ Overclock 33.33% @3.2Ghz 400x8 core v 1.40 + Same data General
Recommended PSU Wattage: 345W
Capacitor Aging: 10% Recommended PSU Wattage: 380W
------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------
42.50 + Overclock % @ 380x9 3.4Ghz core v 1.4 + Same data General
Recommended PSU Wattage:
367W Capacitor Aging: 10% Recommended PSU Wattage: 410W
------------------------ -------------------------------------------------- ------------
+ Overclock 50% @ 400x9 3.6Ghz core v 1.5 + Same data
General Recommended PSU Wattage: 388W
Capacitor Aging: 10% Recommended PSU Wattage: 427W
-------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------
+ Overclock % 59 3.8 GHz 417x9 core v 1.6 + Same data General
Recommended PSU Wattage: 431W
Capacitor Aging: 10% Recommended PSU Wattage: 475W
------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------
+ Overclock 62.75 % 3.9 Ghz 424x9 core v 1.7 + Same data General
Recommended PSU Wattage: 453W
Capacitor Aging: 10% Recommended PSU Wattage: 498W
------------------------------------ --------------------------------------------------

(It should be noted that the voltages that I put in Watts calculator are not accurate because I am not allowed more than one decimal place, ie if correct voltage to use to overclock was 1.5785, calculator, put 1.6v)

So my source could have failed or broken, with all the consequences this might bring, including burn everything from overclock@3.4Ghz in calculator where I shot the recommended value of 410W, exactly the maximum that supposedly gives my source. And
overexploited overclocks to 3.6Ghz (17W of more ) 3.75Ghz and 3.8GHz (65W more ) 3.85Ghz and 3.9Ghz (88W of more ), even reaching Bench 3.75Ghz and 3.8GHz! crazy!
even had a couple of attempts to bring the micro to 4Ghz, now that I could not:)

catch Here I give you to see the benchs wPrime NucleaRus 32 and at those speeds:

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

I could have settled all my hardware without even suspecting the reason ... and about Jose_073 the question, if the source turned out to be very good, lol,
not make the same recklessness that I ... may not be so lucky.

Greetings, Patagonian .



0 comments:

Post a Comment